Change Working Visa to Student Visa and Stay in Japan

Change Visa Status Japan

Change Your Working Visa to Student Visa and Stay in Japan

Processing Time: 1 month or less* (from when you submit your application)


If you currently live in Japan, lost your job with working visa in Japan, the application process is very simple to change your visa and attend our Japanese language school in Tokyo. It is actually easier and faster than obtaining a COE (Certificate of Eligibility). 


Necessary documents*

  1. Photo (less than 3 months old)
  2. Copy of your Passport and Resident Card
  3. Fill out the change of status form (We will do this for you)
  4. Letter of referral (Our school will provide one)
  5. Certificate of enrollment (Our school will provide one)
  6. Write a cover letter in English (Our school will translate it for you in Japanese)
  7. Fill out the regular application form (and provide explanation letters if there are gaps in employment or education) 

In your cover letter, it is important to state that you have never used Japanese at work and really need to study Japanese and attain a JLPT N2 or N1 level in order to find a better job, or to be able to enroll in a vocational school or graduate school in Japan.

Once the application has been submitted to the immigration office with all of the necessary documents, you will receive a new resident card within 1 month. (Currently due to the COVID-19 situation, it may take even less time). Once you have your new student visa, you may also get permission to work part-time (28 hours per week). 

To be eligible for this change of status it is necessary to have enough financial resources to cover your living expenses and the tuition (= more than 2.000.000 JPY in savings and more than 1.500.000 JPY in annual income). You can ask a parent or legal guardian to sponsor you if you don’t personally have enough funds. 

Please note that applicants who have already studied at a Japanese language school with a student visa in the past may have trouble changing their status.

We know you may have several questions or concerns that are specific to your circumstances, and our friendly staff is here to help you. Even if you’re not sure if you qualify, please contact us with any questions you may have and we will assist you every step of the way. 



*Note: Depending on updates from the Japanese government, this information may change. We will update this article periodically to help you have the most current information available.